Monday, January 19, 2009

This Day

Its been a whirlwind day for me. Filled with craziness that should not be occurring on a day that to me is sacred.

I was 6 years old when this great man was killed. Not long after Bobby Kennedy followed. Both men inspired. I believe to the core of my being that we would be living in a far better world had either one or both of them not been taken from us.

But tomorrow seems a renewed promise to me. Not because I think our new president is magically going to make it all disappear, but because his election and his approach, especially after the long national nightmare that is the last eight years awoke in us our better angels, or at the very least, common sense.

Maybe we needed the last 8 years to wake us up to our true potential again. Maybe we needed to go down deep to the bottom before remembering what we are capable of as human beings and citizens of the United States.

Whatever President Obama is able or unable to accomplish. However he may or may not deliver or perhaps disappoint, I hope that we remember that there is still a promised land..and we can still get to it.

No comments: